Due to energy usage for temperature control purposes and the materials used in home furnishings, households can have considerable negative environmental impact. With the severity of global warming’s effect on weather conditions, there is an urgent need for all to reduce their home’s carbon footprint. It takes both dedication and awareness to create a green home, however, environmentally responsible consumers have only to visit home decor online stores to find the support they need with a wide selection of home decor items produced from sustainable natural materials.
Tips for sustainable home decoration
1. Salvaging, reusing, reclaiming and repurposing: Waste reduction is a green initiative to support a healthier environment and results in a decreased demand for goods which, in turn, reduces the amount of natural resources and energy manufacturers need to produce new items. Instead of being discarded in the trash bin, many old household items can be freshened up with a new coat of paint or find other uses after being repurposed. When items made from recycled materials are produced and purchased it also keeps trash out of landfills and reduces the consumer’s carbon footprint.
2. Choose renewable and natural materials: Rapidly renewable materials such as bamboo, cork and wheat are the best resources for use in the home. With a daily growth rate of as much as 100 cm, once harvested, bamboo in particular has the ability to renew itself in less than a year. Although bamboo can last a very long time it can completely biodegrade once thrown away, unlike non-biodegradable plastics and other materials.
3. Materials produced and harvested locally: You can purchase locally crafted home decor products at many home decor online shops. Since these products that are cultivated and/or created nearby they require less fossil fuel usage and transportation to make it to consumers’ homes.
4. Nontoxic materials: Although paint’s mainly used to attractively finish many home decor items, it can be detrimental to the environment. Oil based types are particularly bad with the ability of their VOC and other chemical content to evaporate at room temperature. Other harmful substances used in the production of home accents are plasticisers used for soften plastic and adhesives. It’s best to bypass plastic goods and purchase bamboo products and other natural materials instead.
5. Minimalist theme: A soothing, calm home is usually a clutter free home. Limit the range of items in a room to a few furnishings and unique accents such as boldly printed cushions and elegant bamboo bowls. Dark wood, bamboo and similar natural materials are often used in this design concept. Bamboo lends an especially relaxing vibe as a simple but exotic luxury when used in the creation of accents and furnishings.
An eco-friendly home doesn’t need to be bland, give it a stylish air by decorating its spaces with items produced from sustainable natural materials. Bamboo bowls can be used for display or as attractive fruit or salad bowls. Black or white bamboo trays can be used for serving tea and sandwiches, these and more items are available at Pitaya House decor online store.